1.16.2015

NOT YOUR PIXIE GIRL

In 2010 Emma Watson had recently cut her hair to a pixie cut and shocked everyone. Her cut framed her face beautifully and gave her a Michelle Williams/ Mia Farrow elegance to her recently childlike beauty. Many (like myself) cheered and encouraged her growth and exploration of her look. Others (mostly teenaged boys) cried and shamed her for getting rid of, what they thought, was her femininity. In the summer of 2011 I was inspired and wanted to follow her bold statement by getting a pixie. I went to my stylist with this photo in hand.


I didn't take into account my hair texture or face shape I just did it. My hair being super thick and awkwardly curly poofed up a bit making for difficult styling and awful mullet-y grow out stage.  I got a lot of rude remarks like, "Why did you do it?" "You looked so much better with long hair" "Are you going through a phase" and my favorite back handed compliment "At least you can pull it off". Even after all of that, I loved it, It was very low maintenance, and showed off my features. 

After 4 years of on and off growing my hair and just recently qualifying as medium hair length I have been dabbling with chopping it off again. This time with shorter sides and longer bangs. I love short hair and how it accentuates my facial features. Plus, I've never had a blonde pixie. Not sure if those are good enough reasons. The best reason is: Because I want to. Will this happen? I guess we'll find out.

Here are some pixies that I find flattering.